Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My side with Chip Stewart:

Author interview: Daxton "Chip" Stewart


CK: Who or what inspires you as an author?
Chip Stewart: “As an academic author, as one who’s doing scholarship – that’s the kind of writing I’ve been doing – it’s really my colleagues in the field. So other academics, other scholars. My goal as a writer, particularly when I’m doing legal scholarship, media law scholarship, it’s to some day have a judge put one of my articles in an opinion practically. I want to be a help. I want to answer questions other people haven’t asked or haven’t answered yet. So that’s really the goal of my scholarship. So when I’m writing, I’m always trying to get there. That said, that’s kind of the practical aspect of who I write for. When I write, I like to tell a good story. It’s always cut through all the writing I’ve done. It’s drilled into me from my undergraduate journalism degree that every bit of good writing has some sort of story element to it. I like to have fun. I like to start with a lead or a lead section or set a scene or something like that, even if it’s a legal memo or some work of scholarship or magazine article or whatever. I like to have fun with it.”

CK: What authors and/or books have influenced you as an author and writer?
Chip Stewart: “In my professional work, my academic writing, you can just turn over my bookshelf here. I like Anthony Lewis. Anthony Lewis won a couple of Pulitzer Prizes. He’s a New York Times columnist who wrote about the development of the First Amendment and free speech as it came out in the Times v. Sullivan case. I read this as an undergraduate, latched on to it. I actually got to meet him a few years ago, really enjoyed it. So Anthony Lewis, at least professionally, is one that I admire. He tells a great story about the development of First Amendment law and libel and that sort of thing. Writing good stuff, important stuff in a very accessible way, a narrative way, is admirable. So I like him a lot. There’s a couple of judges I like to read who are terrific writers. Frank Easterbrook is one of them. He just has a good flair with words. He’s got a dash of humor. He’s not all dry and dull. The Supreme Court judges are all dry and dull. I’ve always enjoyed the way with words, the pacing, the phrasing Ernest Hemingway used. When it comes to writing dark bits of journalism, Hunter S. Thomson I like a lot. And I just love kid’s books. I think it’s because I have children. But I’ve done some scholarship on Harry Potter. I think J.K. Rowling tremendous. Sometimes I think she could have used a stronger editing hand than what she had. Neil Gaiman, who wrote Coraline, which might be the scariest book I’ve ever read, he’s just a tremendous writer and storyteller.”

CK: How do you think technology is changing print culture with authors and readers?
Chip Stewart: “It’s hard to read on [Smartphones]. I still do. I read news on them. It’s frustrating to read long form on a Smartphone. I have an e-reader. I got a Kindle for Christmas. It’s OK. I actually downloaded a book on it that I wanted to read and jumped around in it a bit, and then I saw it at Half Price Books and went and bought the book. I’m just more comfortable with the book in hand. I like the way books feel. I like the way they smell. I like the way I can just pull them around, and if I drop it in a body of water, it only costs me a few bucks to replace. It’s just kind of how I am. I think we’re always going to have a print culture, it’s just going to be a matter of how we consume that print. I know some people do better on e-readers, and that’s fine. We’re headed that way anyway. But in terms of the technology itself, from a writer’s perspective. I know you can write differently for the web, but when I write it’s not really for web consumption. I write long form for journal articles – 20 to 40 to 50 pages long – or I’m writing books that kind of thing that may not translate as easily to an e-reader. So I haven’t had to do as much writing for web audiences yet. If I am writing for the web, it’s usually on Twitter, and you’re already forced to write short on there. I stay within the 140 character limits.

CK: How do you think the technology is changing the audience?
Chip Stewart: If I wrote an academic article before, it was going to go into a print journal like these – printed version goes into libraries, most likely to law libraries, where to find it you have to go to a law library to look it up. One of the reasons I chose this journal was because it’s also open access online. There’s a print version, but there’s also a PDF version you can download and the whole world can see it. All of a sudden, you’re able to write for a broader audience. Maybe it’s still legal scholars and academics, but when I get involved in a conversation on Twitter, for example, on copyright or photographs I can say, ‘Hey I wrote an article on that,’ and link to the website, and all of a sudden, it’s professionals able to read through. I try not to be too dense on jargon and that stuff. Legal stuff can get there. Because it’s accessible to the general public – and I think it should be, the idea of open access. When we write, anybody should be able to see our scholarship. It doesn’t do any good to put research and learning and that sort of thing behind a paywall where the general public can’t get it. Besides I like the idea of people reading it. The web makes all of this accessible in one way or another to everybody, and I think that’s a good thing. It does change up a bit of understanding who your audience is.”

CK: How did you find a publisher and how long did it take to find one?
Chip Stewart: “I started by asking my friends. I went to my mentor, my Ph.D. adviser. He gave me some contacts and a couple different publishers. And I started looking around some in my office and seeing who does communication law and gave them a call. And I knew a couple just from going around to conferences and seeing their booths. Then I was going to a conference in Chicago. I met with four different publishers in Chicago. Had breakfast with them, grabbed coffee with them, just pulled them aside, and talked with them for 15, 30 minutes or an hour. And I gauged their interest in my book and my proposal. Some wanted to move things around a bit, some had a bit longer review process. One said, ‘You know, this is really interesting, but not the sort of thing that we do. We’re looking more for kind of regular manuals for professionals, not as much student guides and texts.’ And then the one I started going with just came to me and was just really enthusiastic, and said, ‘We’re very interested. This is an area we are trying to build up. How quickly can you have a full proposal or draft chapter to us?’ Overall, it took a couple months to find a publisher. Got them book proposals in July, met with them in August. Had a deal by the end of August. Had it reviewed and accepted by their editorial board by around December, and had a contract in hand and a manuscript done by June, so we moved pretty fast.”

No comments:

Post a Comment